Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homemade Deliciousness ...

Okay so I didn't call it "It's Bakery Day!" sue me.



MMMM

3 cups flour
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon salt

Mix those dry ingredients together first, in a big mixing bowl.

Then add:

2 1/2 cups warm water (like baby bottle warm*)
3 tablespoons oil (I used olive, but any works I think)
3 tablespoons of honey (got some from Denio's mmm!)

stir that all together, it will be kinda wet and pasty/soupy.

Measure out 3 more cups of flour and mix it in a little at a time. When it's too hard to mix with the spoon turn it out to a hard surface to knead and finish adding the flour. Knead for 10 minutes. It shouldn't stick, it should just be smooth and soft.

After you are done kneading for 10 minutes, put into a clean mixing bowl (spray the bowl with cooking spray so it doesn't stick) and let it rise for 30 minutes or so, until it has doubled in size.

Then punch it down, roll it out on a flat, floured surface into a rectangle (maybe 12 inches by 18 inches?) so that you can roll it up into a loaf.

Put your loaf into a sprayed bread pan (so it doesn't stick) and let it rise again for another 30 minutes.

Now, bake for 35 minutes or so until it is golden and pretty! Oh, at 350 degrees!

I am going to use this for sandwiches, and tomorrow morning I am going to make toast with it. Can't wait!


*I have been trying to make a good "rising" bread all week and kept killing the yeast with my last recipe. This one was much easier. But just as my pointer ... use "baby bottle warm" water. Like, test it on your wrist and everything. I think that's what killed my yeast the first time I tried it. And, don't worry, if your yeast dies, it's not as dramatic as it sounds. You will just have a more dense bread, rather than and airy one.

Hugs!

-S-

No comments:

Post a Comment